Kid-Friendly Guide to the Kennedy Space Center
If you have kids who are fascinated with space and science, you should plan a day trip to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The Space Center is a fairly short drive from Kissimmee if you’re staying at FantasyWorld, one of the leading Kissimmee Florida resorts, so make sure you fit in a trip to this inspiring site during your vacation.
The 144,000-acre Kennedy Space Center Visitors’ Complex is a mix of museum and interactive theme park, so the whole family is sure to enjoy the experience. Don’t worry, most attractions are located together and there are convenient tours that help get you around and also serve as a great rest from all of the exploration. It’s a good idea to look online to see the full range of activities and exhibitions so you can plan what is most important for your family, but here are a few of the popular favorites:
- Rocket Garden: See some of the actual rockets from the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs and get a real feel for just how big and amazing they are!
- Space Shuttle Atlantis Building: Parents are sure to love this as much if not more than the kids, as it’s an opportunity to see the actual Space Shuttle Atlantis. Start with the short film about the history of the shuttle and then head into the main museum to view the shuttle, with all of its wear and tear from space. You’ll also find a number of interactive exhibits, and if you’re 44 inches and taller you can experience the shuttle launch simulator!
- Planet Play: Kids ages 2 through 12 will love this multi-story indoor playground. They’ll be able to slide down an asteroid field, crawl through a black hole, walk on Saturn’s rings and more. Even toddlers get in on the fun with a soft play area. Parents can take a break and enjoy the lounge – complete with coffee, beer, and wine – while the kids play.
- Journey to Mars: This exhibit lets visitors enjoy some interactive simulators about the famed red planet and even includes Mars rover replicas.
- Space Center Bus Tour: Visiting the center is a full-day experience, so when everyone starts to lag, take the bus tour to see the launch sites and the giant transporters that move the rockets and appreciate the grand scale of it all. Plus, the driver points out other sites of interest and shares fascinating details.
There are also opportunities to Chat with an Astronaut and the Astronaut Encounter for a chance to hear from actual astronauts. Be sure to check the schedules for these events. You’ll find all of this and so much more – including a LEGO-related activity – so be sure to plan a visit to the Kennedy Space Center when staying at FantasyWorld, one of the great family friendly Kissimmee Florida resorts.Tags: Kissimmee Condo, Kissimmee timeshare rentals, Kissimmee vacation, Orlando Vacation Packages, Resort Tips